Bronze Medallion – Public Safety and Aquatic Rescue (PUA21012)
This course will run for 6 – 8 weeks to allow you to become an active member of Byron Bay Surf Lifesaving Club. The skills gained during this course will allow you to perform water safety competently and be part of a patrolling team.
Skills gained during this course include Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and basic First Aid Skills. Candidates will also improve their water skills to enable them to perform surf rescues using both a rescue tube and a rescue board. The course also includes beach management and working as part of a team.
Prerequisites for the course
Candidates must meet ALL of the following conditions:
• Be at least 15 years of age on the date of final assessment
• Complete an unaided swim (goggles/masks permitted) of 400 metre swim in nine (9) minutes or less, in a swimming pool.
Course Commencement Date
The course will commence on Tuesday the 21st October at 6pm – 8pm in the club training room which is located upstairs at the Surf Club.
Commitment – attendance at all sessions is advised. Readiness for assessment is at the Chief Trainers discretion. The course will be conducted on Tuesdays and Saturday sessions for 8 weeks.
Candidates must be able to commit to the duration of the course.
Tuesday sessions: 6 – 8 pm
– Classroom sessions including CPR and practical scenarios. Theory sessions
Saturday sessions: 0830 – 12.30 pm
– Water skills. Please bring your swimmer, googles, towel and sunscreen each Saturday. The timed pool swim is scheduled for the first Saturday
– CPR and scenario practice
– Theory sessions
Candidates will also need to participate in patrol as part of this qualification.
After successful completion of this course candidates will be allocated to a patrol to commence regular patrol as a Byron Bay Surf Club member.
Awards, Qualifications and patrol requirements can be checked by creating your own login surf lifesaving NSW online
Please contact the Chief Training Officer Maryanne Sewell email@example.com
if you are interested in being part of this course.